Happy 7th Birthday YouTube!
Tuesday Apr 24th, 2012
Last week saw the 7 year anniversary of the very first video upload to YouTube. Have you ever watched it?
It’s a real treat – the 19-second “Me At the Zoo.” The video stars YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim, chatting to camera about elephants having “really, really long trunks, and that’s cool.”
But isn’t that the beauty of YouTube? Everyone can tell a story (no matter how high tech) and share it with the world in matter of moments.
As I’m sure you already know, we are great advocates of video here at Brandcast Media, and this video really did pave the way for biggest and most popular video sharing website we’ve ever known.
YouTube currently houses more video than any other site in history, and since its buy out by the internet giants Google in 2006, it just keeps on growing.
For all our fellow video geeks here are some other staggering YouTube facts:
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute – that’s one hour of video uploaded every second
- More than 4 billion videos are viewed every day
- More than 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the three major U.S. networks created in 60 years
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views or almost 140 views for every person on earth
The power of video is just huge, and a very important engagement tool for us and our clients here at Brandcast.
What’s your favourite YouTube clip?